What do you get when you mix together sweet potato puree, maple syrup, cocoa butter, vanilla and spices together?
I am not sure everything you could get. But, I got a ridiculously expensive total failure. Definitely NOT white chocolate sweet potato pie! It was a dump-it-out level of failure. As I was dumping it what I failed to do before hand (add up the cost of the ingredients) made me sick to my stomach. That $20 pie was hard to swallow in many ways.
If I had taken a bit to actually think about how doable it was, I would not have even tried it. I was just blinded by coming up with a gluten/dairy/coconut/egg/squash/honey free alternative to Pumpkin Pie. It is my ultimate favorite fall dessert, and I want to share a version of it with my daughter.
But, at least one good thing came out of it. I had 3/4 cup of sweet potato puree left over, combine that with 5 of the 100 bananas I recently froze, a few spices and a generous drizzle of molasses (yum!) and we enjoyed a healthy, and not budget breaking, fall treat.
- ¾ cup sweet potato puree, frozen in small bits (I just did teaspoon sizes on aluminum foil and froze for an hour)
- 5 bananas frozen, sliced (can slice before or after freezing)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon + more for sprinkling if desired
- 2 T date paste OR 1 Tablespoon honey
- Molasses to drizzle, optional
- Blend all of the ingredients but the molasses together in a high powered blender, or food processor (what I used) scraping the sides as needed to get it to blend.
- Serve with molasses on top.
- Best served immediately, but can be frozen too (it does get pretty crystally though)