A few weeks ago we were going to have curry, and while we usually eat it without naan that day no naan just was not going to fly. There were two problems though 1. my scale was broken so the weight based recipe I had been working on would not be usable 2. I REALLY did not feel like writing the recipe down.
So, I took of my blogger hat, decided I would wing it and if it worked and I did not have the recipe afterwards, oh well.
It ended up very good. So good in fact that I immediately made a second batch with the method I had just used fresh in my mind. I wanted to be able to write the recipe down. I guess I am blogger through and through.
In the end we had a LOT of naan for our curry and you get to have the recipe.
This recipe has affiliate links.
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup golden flax, ground
- 1 Tablespoon [url href="http://amzn.to/1VfUt6e" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"]whole psyllium husk
- ½ cup tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon hot water (as hot as you can get from the tap)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons sucanat or 1½ teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- More brown rice flour for rolling
- Mix together the brown rice flour, psyllium husk, ground flax, and tapioca starch. Stir in the the water, oil, salt, and honey.
- If the mixture feels pretty warm let it cool off some, you want it to feel lukewarm.
- Stir in the yeast.
- Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Flour your counter and roll out ⅛ of the dough until it is a little thinner then ¼" thick. If you have parchment paper you can roll on that then transfer the parchment paper and naan to the hot skillet, flip, then remove the parchment paper (this is easier when you have delicate gluten free doughs, but I did not need it).
- Cook the naan until it puffs up and gets some dark spots (about 2 minutes). Flip and cook through, just a few minutes more. As you are cooking one, roll out the next one.
- Place naan on a plate under a towel until ready to serve.
Hearth and Soul
Gluten Free Wednesdays
Allergy Free Wednesdays
Fabulously Frugal Thursday
Thriving On Thursday
Pin It Thursday
Whole Foods Friday
Fight Back Friday