In case you did not already guess this from the fact that I have a food blog, I like cooking. I am always dreaming up new flavor combinations. My favorite shows to watch come straight from Food Network. I strive for the chopping, the seasoning, and the the whisking. I love cooking- except when I don’t.
Then, I make this.
When I am not able to go shopping and Mark is picking up something simple for me to make- this is it.
When cooking sounds about as fun as poking myself in the eye with a needle – this is it.
When I am on the couch sick and Mark cooks five nights in a row- this is it four of those nights.
I started making this simple dish a couple years ago when we were doing an elimination diet and it has stuck around, which is saying a lot. I go through cycles of stand by and “I just do not feel like cooking” dishes, but this one has managed to remain a frequent visitor.
Nothing fancy about it, just peas, ground beef, in a simple sauce. Served over rice, quinoa, or even leftover mashed potatoes it never fails to please us in it’s simplicity.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- Cook the beef with the one teaspoon salt, onion powder and garlic. Add the peas and cook for a minute or two to thaw the peas.
- Mix ½ cup of the chicken stock with the arrowroot powder. Pour the remaining 1½ cups of stock into the beef and peas. Add the stock that has the arrowroot.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened and the peas are cooked through.
- Add more salt to taste- the amount needed depends on if the stock was salted or not.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or leftover mashed potatoes.
Recipe Sharing Monday
Melt In Your Mouth Monday
Mix it Up Monday
Mouth Watering Monday
Natural Living Monday
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm